Hiring Organization: Partners Personalized Medicine65 Landsdowne Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
Partners Personalized Medicine (PPM) leverages advances in genetics to help realize the promise of personalized medicine and improve the care of patients. Construction of IT systems to support research and clinical use of genetic data are a critical part of this mission. The systems we build and maintain are used extensively within Partners HealthCare. To continue to support the advancement of personalized medicine, it is imperative to collaborate with clinicians and bring innovative solutions to the point of care and to laboratory and other processes.
Clinicians in different areas across our healthcare environment identify ways in which care delivery in their areas could be improved with process changes requiring new IT support. The required functionality often involves bringing together disparate data and applying improved analytics. Effectively, they are in need of “apps” to assist decision making processes. It is often expensive to build, clinically validate and deploy this type of functionality in healthcare. The HIP team is creating a platform to simplify the development of this type of functionality in the healthcare setting as well as using the platform to develop needed apps. The potential to introduce positive change for many different kinds of patients is extremely significant. This critical role will substantially increase our development speed and thereby bring benefits to patients in need faster than would otherwise be possible.
Our Health Innovation Platform (HIP) team is creating information technology (IT) infrastructure and applications focused on fundamentally accelerating the rate of clinical innovation in healthcare. HIP will empower clinicians and investigators by facilitating the deployment of apps that improve processes, strengthen communication and bring the power of genetics and analytics to bear to improve the care of patients suffering from life threatening and debilitating diseases.
Our expanding team is tackling some of the largest challenges in healthcare IT – integrating genetic and other new data sources into clinical and pathology workflows, deploying complex analytics-aware infrastructure into mission critical clinical environments, and democratizing healthcare IT. This position offers an opportunity to join our team at an early stage.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking a talented and experienced principal software developer. While the successful candidate will spend the majority of their time developing functionality as an individual contributor, this position requires an individual who has enterprise level architectural skills. The principle software developer must be able to take responsibility for the design and implementation of complex projects, both new functionality and enhancements to existing functionality. Success will require developing data and object models that correctly model clinical data and transactional clinical processes, designing and implementing functionality in a multi-tier architecture built on Spring & AngularJS technologies, maintaining required documentation, and enabling and expanding interoperation between multiple application components serving the needs of multiple organizations.
The Principal Software Engineer will collaborate with clinicians and other Partners departments to create new solutions as part of building the Health Innovation Platform in clinical areas such as cardiology and pathology.
Responsibilities for Health Innovation Platform solutions involve collaborating with clinical and other departments to define requirements, create specifications, develop and test software, and deploy and support solutions. Solutions should contribute to and extend the Health Innovation Platform in conjunction with our efforts to create a standard technology platform for clinical innovation within Partners. Software development efforts may be in conjunction with external vendor partners, requiring management of partner and vendor relationships in the delivery of final solutions.
You will be joining a small team and therefore must be willing to play multiple roles including taking on responsibilities beyond those described above. This position specifically will involve full life cycle development and requires an individual who can work directly with end users to conceptualize, specify, code, test and deploy new cutting edge medical functionality. As such, deep technical and analytical skills are a necessity. You must be willing to take on other duties the team may need as assigned and participate in the off-hours on-call rotation. The majority of your time will be spent coding.
We are looking for an individual that will thrive as a member of an experienced, high performing and highly motivated team. A desire and ability to take ownership of complex projects and drive them to completion is required. This position offers the exciting opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the revolution in healthcare IT.
• Gather requirements and prepare technical specifications.
• Conduct system and workflow analysis and design
• Implement the designs across the full technology stack
• Design, create and execute manual and automated tests
• Contribute to best practices and continuous learning across team
• Contribute to design and implementation of overall system architecture
• Assist in maintenance and ongoing support of developed systems
• Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These
values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
• Other duties as assigned Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field required
• 8+ years in information technology, 5+ years as a software developer
• Exceptional Java programming skills
• Experience implementing web-based, enterprise applications
• In depth knowledge of the Spring Framework and related technologies
• Experience developing across presentation, middle and backend application layers
• Comfortable with Eclipse IDE, GIT, Linux, Shell and/or Perl Scripting
• A combination of education and experience may be substituted for requirements
• Experience working in an FDA 21 CFR Part 820 regulated environment
• Experience in an ISO 13485 setting
• Knowledge of genetics, genomics, or biological laboratory processes
• Knowledge of clinical processes / clinical systems
• Specific knowledge and experience with specific technologies: o SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL
o Docker, Cloud Foundry
o JPA/Hibernate, Spring, REST, JAX-WS, SOAP
o FHIR, HL7, EDI, LLP
• Experience working with distributed applications that exchange data
• Experience delivering and developing applications based on Microservices Architecture
• Experience working with and building real applications using big data technologies such
as Apache Hadoop, Apache Cassandra, or Apache Spark
• A desire and willingness to develop a deep understanding of the issues surrounding genetic testing or other clinical areas (prior knowledge in this area is not required).
• Demonstrable ability and willingness to efficiently produce high quality code
• Demonstrable ability to interact with end users, understand complex clinical processes
and develop object models and code that accurately model these processes
• Ability to effectively translate business requirements to functional requirements.
• Possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional
teams including staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-
• Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
• Ability to effectively conduct meetings, both formal and informal, including clinical user
• Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly.
• Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets,
backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization.
• Willingness to help teammates, share knowledge and experiences, and learn together.
• Standard office environment in Cambridge, MA, with possible local travel to Partners sites
• Non-standard work hours may be required as business needs dictate. Supervisory Responsibility
• No direct reports; may provide guidance to less seasoned and new staff
• Demonstrates fiscal responsibility by effectively using Partners resources