Formulation Development at Vertex seeks a dedicated scientist to join a team whose goal is to discover, develop, and commercialize therapies for patients with serious diseases. The incumbent will work along side our innovative staff of preclinical formulators, conducting experiments that allow our research teams to select drug candidates for clinical evaluation.
The ideal candidate has mastered the fundamentals of chemistry and physics and has hands-on experience in a laboratory (through coursework, a cooperative training program, internship, or undergraduate research). The candidate must comfortably take the initiative, be curious, and show resilience in solving complex problems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Execute laboratory experiments with minimal supervision, and interpret data to meet established project timelines
• Generate data using instrument platforms including: high-performance liquid chromatographic, spray-drying, nuclear magnetic resonance, spectrophotometric, calorimetric, potentiometric, mass spectrometric, X-ray powder diffraction or dynamic light scattering methods to characterize materials
• Maintain accurate and complete laboratory notebook in real time
• Document integrated experimental outcomes in presentations and research reports
• Perform basic statistical analysis of experimental data
• Initiate experimental troubleshooting on routine problems, with minimal supervision
• Maintain compliance with assigned training, and follow established safety procedures
Knowledge and Skills:
• A degree in chemistry (or related major) with coursework in the following branches: physical, analytical, organic, and material sciences
• Experience conducting experiments in a laboratory
• Knowledgeable in drug development and pre-formulation characterization techniques including: thermal analysis, solution and solid-state characterization, crystallization, and solubility
• Strong technical writing and verbal communication skills
• Successful and efficient multitasking and ability to work on a few projects concurrently
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or a related physical science with 0-4 years of experience, or Master’s degree with 0-2 years of experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com