Title: Gene Editing Senior Research Associate, REQ #11549
Vertex is establishing a new site in the Boston area where research, development, and clinical manufacturing for cell and genetic therapies will be based. Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, type 1 diabetes and myotonic dystrophy. Further investment in a research site specifically designed to advance these programs will be key to Vertex’s continued and sustained leadership in these exciting therapeutic areas. At Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) our research teams will bring together the best biology, technologies and enhanced manufacturing capabilities to ensure we bring these cutting-edge transformative therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
• Perform in vitro and cell-based studies to develop novel CRISPR-based gene therapies for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
• Apply molecular and cell biology techniques to screen/identify lead guide RNA candidates
• Conduct Next-Generation-Sequencing assays to assess On-Target and Off-Targets gene editing efficiency
• Grow commonly used cells and disease relevant cells in tissue culture • Purify nucleic acids from different sources using state-of-the-art technologies
• Analyze nucleic acids quantity and quality with real-time PCR and gel/capillary electrophoresis
• Measure gene editing efficiency and identify profiles using Sanger Sequencing
• Troubleshoot challenges arising during protocol execution and identify opportunities for protocol and/or process improvement • Effectively collaborate and communicate with a highly integrated research team
• Maintain clear and complete experimental records
• Master’s degree in molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry, genetics or related discipline with 2+ years post graduate experience. Exceptional candidates with BA/BS degree and an extensive record of highly relevant experience will also be considered
• Extensive hands-on experience with molecular biology, cell culture, nucleic acids and protein analysis, assay development and data analysis
• Previous experience with Next-Generation-Sequencing and/or CRISPR-based gene editing methods is a strong plus
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a highly collaborative environment or independently when needed.
• Commit to self-development and self-improvement in various aspects • Strong interpersonal, organizational and documenting skills
Full listing and to apply click HERE