In June 2019, Vertex announced the establishment of a new research site in the Boston area where research, development, and clinical manufacturing for cell and genetic therapies will be primarily based. Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and type 1 diabetes. Further investment in a research site specifically designed to advance these programs will be key to Vertex’s continued and sustained leadership in these exciting approaches. At Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) our research teams will bring together the best biology, technologies and enhanced manufacturing capabilities to ensure we bring these
cutting-edge transformative therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) is designed to accelerate our progress in bringing multiple new transformative medicines to patients in need. We are seeking an outstanding Cell Manufacturing Operations Scientific Associate II to join our fast-paced and growing team. This full-time, individual contributor role will be responsible for the technology transfer and production of cell therapy products to support VCGT’s Phase I/II clinical trials. Clinical product produced in the facility will be manufactured according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and conducted under Investigational New Drug (IND) applications with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Perform clinical product manufacturing for cell therapy according to cGMP standards. Includes assembling raw materials, following specific standard operating procedures (SOP), aseptic technique, completing batch records, and reporting deviations.
- Perform cell culture maintenance and aliquoting preparation
- May Participates in technology transfer and final process development from the Research to the Manufacturing group. May Occasionally assists in the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for manufacturing in collaboration with Research and Quality Systems groups.
- Assist Process Development team during developmental runs.
- Ensures raw materials are identified and available in time for manufacturing activities. Transfer raw material inside cleanroom suite using sanitizing reagents.
- Supports Operations group to ensure proper coordination of resources.
- Ensures cGMP compliance through consistent execution.
- Other duties and projects as assigned to meet departmental requirements.
- Availability to work one weekend day.
- Bachelor’s degree in a process related science with some cell culture experience or a Certificate with cell culture experience required.
- Basic computer skills.
- Experience in cell processing and 2D and 3D culture technologies or experience in cleanroom GMP manufacturing experience.
- Any previous work in process development and/or manufacturing of cell therapy products preferred.
- Experience with 3-15 liter scale bioreactors for cell culture preferred.
- Experience with embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cell culture preferred.
- Knowledge of federal requirements for GMP manufacturing (21CFR 210,211) and Quality Systems (21CFR 820).
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com